I know that when you travel you love to find accommodations that suit your sustainable values without sacrificing comfort. That’s why today I will tell you about Hostal Grau, an eco-hotel located in Barcelona’s historical downtown. Will you join me?
The building dates from the year 1900 and, when Monica, the current hotel director, took the reins of the business she did it with a clear motivation: She wanted a sustainable accommodation. She received help from Green Room Hotels, a company that advises tourist establishments on how to introduce sustainability to their business model, as well as knowing how to advertise it to their customers.
In 2012 the building makeover began with the intention of acquiring the LEED certification, and currently, with the hotel running, they are still working to make that a reality.
Why is it a sustainable hotel?
- They have the best beds, handmade, with natural materials.
- They use natural cleaning products.
- Reduce the usage of packaging to the maximum, thus generating less waste.
- The wood used by the hotel is FSC certified.
- The building is designed to assure energetic efficiency, water saving and inner air quality.
- They collaborate with social projects in Barcelona city. For example, some of the hotel furniture comes from L’Estoc, a local company that helps with the integration of some people with disabilities through furniture production, using recycled materials and discarded furniture.
And many other reasons that you will find on their website.
Besides, they have introduced an innovative concept called OffRoom, which consists in reducing the electromagnetic radiation produced by different devices and networks, to guarantee a good rest, while keeping the connectivity with the outside world. Right now, it has just been implemented in one of the rooms, but their idea is to expand the concept to other rooms in the hotel.
Bottom line, Hostal Grau offers a sustainable experience, without compromising your comfort, all set to make you feel home.
Did you like the article? Don’t hesitate to share it. Subscribe to my blog to get all the articles I publish on time and, if you follow me on Twitter you will be up to date with the novelties of Sustainable Tourism.